WARNING: Radically honest blog
I am not always grateful. Sometimes i feel other things….
Like frustration for the world’s injustice.
If you are like me, you’ve been radically aware of injustice your whole life.
Being Jewish by birth and blood, I grew up learning stories of how our people have been persecuted for eons..
And for 20 years I have been sitting with how learning the history of colonization and war create my perception of present day expereinces and relationships across the board.
Here is what I have found..
Many many cultural traditions perpetuate old stories of victim and oppressor mindset by telling stories that reinforce pain and grief.
Our bodies hold stories of our ancestors and it can be really challenging to get to the root of.
AND gratitude doesn’t come natural when trauma is prevalent.
What I know is ..
Awareness of the victim and oppressor stories we carry is the first step on path to make peace in humanity both personally and globally.
And when we heal these stories within ourselves and in our relationships, gratitude is natural.
But when we force ourselves to be grateful, the feeling of connection and appreciation is neither authentic or sustained.
But when we find gratitude in a good and natural way that is authentic, it heals all of our relationships and enables us to walk through the world with a clear mind mind and a heart full of love.
Here are six ways to authentically be grateful without bypassing or pretending that everything is full of greatness
1. Ground. A native adopted relative of mine an elder one said that we’re all indigenous to where we are born. Connect with the earth as if you’re in relationship with the divine mother
2. Feel through your feelings of resentment or grief
3. Practice feeling an expensive energy of love for self and all unconditionally
4. Clear. Learn how to clear energy. We all carry a responsibility that is sacred for healing and awakening in our own way. But if you’re carrying other peoples burdens including those of your ancestors, you might be blocking the voice of your own soul
5. Commune with the heavens. Meditate and witness the mind and nature. This helps detach you from perceiving and experiencing negative emotional impacts from the past
6. You always have a choice as to what to put your attention on. If you follow the other five themes above, gratitude is almost natural at this point
Embrace it all. But only if it’s natural.
Don’t pretend. Meet yourself where you are and gratitude will awaken within you.